Overall: 7 1/2 x 5 1/8 x 6 11/16in. (19.1 x 13 x 17cm)
Stoneware, salt-glazed, brown with silver mount on rim
Museum Purchase, Wesley and Elise H. Wright in memory of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Clay Hofheimer II and in honor of John C. Austin
Acc. No. 2007-47
Half gallon brown salt-glazed stoneware tankard with silver mounted rim. The mount is stamped twice with a maker's mark just above the handle (possibly an H). The tankard tapers slightly from the base to the rim and has cordoning around both base and rim. The handle terminates in a "squab" terminal (an extra roll of clay added to the base of the handle and pressed in the middle leaving a dimple).
Label:The most recent addition to Colonial Williamsburg's collections funded by the Wright Fund for ceramics purchases is a salt-glazed stoneware tankard made by John Dwight. This half-gallon tankard with sliver-mounted rim, dating between 1685 and 1695, was made in Fulham, England. Dwight was one of the first English potters to commercially produce a range of useful stoneware. Wares of this type were exported to the American colonies and archaeological examples of Dwight's work have been found in Williamsburg as well as several other sites in Virginia. The addition of this piece to Colonial Williamsburg's collection helps us to more fully illustrate the role that stoneware played in the lives of the colonists. This acquisition would not have been possible without the generous support of Friends, Elise and Wesley Wright.
Written for the Friends of Collections Newsletter, Fall 2007
Brown stoneware straight-sided tankards were produced concurrently with gorges at John Dwight’s Fulham pottery. These cylindrical drinking vessels far outlived the popularity of their round-bellied companions. Fragments of at least two Dwight tankards made circa 1685–1695 are among the wares excavated from the Drummond site in James City County, Virginia. Their rich brown coloration, thin bodies, and bands of fine combing at foot and neck closely match extant Dwight tankards of the same period. None of the known Dwight tankards of this early type bear ale-measure marks, suggesting this variant ceased to be made by 1700. While such finely turned specimens were produced only briefly, incalculable quantities of robustly potted plain brown tankards were made from the late seventeenth century onward.
Provenance:Sampson & Horne Antiques, London, England
Mark(s):Silver mount: "H" possibly