Teapot and lid
Origin: England, Staffordshire
Stoneware, salt-glazed, white
Gift of Mr. Harry H. Coon
Acc. No. 2005-191,A&B
Diamond-shaped teapot and cover molded on each side with a scallop shell within a rectangular panel surrounded by alternating bands of circlets and fretwork above a waisted square foot. The serpent spout and lamprey handle is affixed on the angles at the ends, and the cover has a recumbent lion knop.
Label:The remains of plain white stoneware teapots were excavated in great quantities from the land in Pemaquid, Maine, occupied by the British at Fort Frederick from 1729 to 1759, although subsequent disturbances to the site preclude the tight dating of deposits to specific contexts.Among the many wheel-thrown teapot shards are two small fragments from a slip-cast specimen. The relief design of a running band of Greek key pattern and the shape of the shard suggest the teapot may have been a diamond or lozenge shape ornamented with scallop shells enclosed within multiple borders such as this example, 2005-191. Several variants of this form are known and matching cream jugs (2005-192) also survive. Such examples are generally dated circa 1750–1760.
Provenance:Harry H. Coon, Glenview, IL
Purchased from David Newbon, London, England, 12/2/1974