Overall: 14 1/4 x 9 1/2in. (36.2 x 24.1cm)
Stoneware, salt-glazed, brown
Acc. No. 1993-5
Salt-glazed stoneware jug impressed with "Brandrum Templeman & Jaques" near neck.
Label:Several very large bottles marked with the names “Brandram, Templeman & Jaques” survive today as specimens of stoneware made specifically for the shipment of paint. An example of such a bottle with a history of descent in the Fauntleroy family of Richmond County, Virginia,
is now in the collections of Colonial Williamsburg. Its heavy ovoid shape and short neck with plain rim are indicative of a late eighteenth-century date. This is further confirmed by the use of printers’ type to impress the lettering into the damp clay, a practice adopted only in the second half of the century. The names of Brandram, Templeman, and Jaques on the bottle represent the eponymous firm of color merchants or paint manufacturers that is listed in various directories for the City of London as operating at 17 Size Lane, Bucklersbury, from about 1784 to 1805; the company traded in both Maryland and Virginia. Fragments excavated at the Fulham pottery bear the same impressed names, confirming that these bottles were made at that site.
Provenance:Purchased from Sumpter Priddy III, Inc., Richmond, VA. According to source, the jug descended in the Fauntleroy family of Richmond County, Virginia. (See also 1988-293, high chair which was purchased from the same source at auction of the estate of Frank Hollowell, Elizabeth City, North Carolina; and according to family tradition, descended through the Fauntleroy, Lee, Edwards, Hughlett and Hurst families of the Northern Neck of Virginia.)
Mark(s):Impressed "Brandram Templeman & Jaques"