Irish Pattern 1756 Land Service Musket and Bayonet
OL: 62" Barrel: 46" x .81 caliber
Walnut, iron, steel and brass
Gift of Mr. & Mrs. John R. Muckel of Indiana Plumbing Supply
Acc. No. 1986-143,A&B
Pattern 1756 Land Pattern musket, complete with original numbered bayonet and rammer. Walnut stock, round barrel, rounded brass mounts and straight-bottomed Pattern 1755 lock.
Label:Established in the middle part of the 17th century, Ireland had a separate military establishment complete with its own Board of Ordnance tasked with supplying the British troops stationed on the isle. Initially occupied with the refurbishment of arms, it wasn’t until the second decade of the 18th century that Dublin Castle began procuring truly Irish-made firearms. This musket perfectly conforms to the British Land Pattern of 1756, and has survived as a complete “stand” with its numbered rammer and bayonet. Engraved on the top of the barrel is a large “24,” indicating issue to the 24th Regt. during the period of the American Revolution.
In all likelihood, this musket was issued to the 24th Regt. by one of the two warrants authorized at Dublin Castle in 1775. The first, dated April 21, decreed that 351 muskets & bayonets be delivered to the regiment as replacements for the worn out ones they had received (mostly) in 1766. To equip the new soldiers of the Army augmentation of November 21, the Irish Ordnance issued another 170 stands. Not wanting a mix of older “long” and the brand new ‘short” arms in his regiment, the commanding officer of the 24th specifically requested Long Lands for these additional men. It is rare that a musket, let alone a complete numbered stand, survives and can be further illuminated by some interesting and relevant documentation. But what else does this situation tell us? Either Lt. Gen. Edward Cornwallis (the Colonel of the 24th), or Lt. Col. Simon Fraser, was proactive in seeing to the uniformity of his unit. Therefore, it can be assumed that at the outset of the American Revolution, a significant percentage of less finicky-minded British regiments went on active service with an array of muskets of different lengths and patterns.
The 24th Regiment left Ireland and disembarked at Quebec on the first day of June, 1776. As part of "Gentleman Johnny" Burgoyne's expedition to divide the rebellious colonies, they were soundly defeated at Saratoga in October 1777. While the men of the regiment went into captivity, their arms were turned over for the use of the Patriot forces, so this "stand" may be a trophy of the first major American success of the Revolution.
Provenance:Collected before WWII by the APVA for exhibit at the Powder Magazine.
Mark(s):Lock engraved with "Crown GR" ahead of cock and "DUBLIN CASTLE" in two lines behind, and a "Crowned Broad Arrow" is struck under the pan. Barrel is struck with the usual Ordnance View & Proof marks, and is engraved "24" near the breech. Wristplate, rammer and bayonet all engraved with "9/7."