Origin: China, Jingdezhen
Acc. No. 2010-39
Large circular dish with underglaze blue decoration in the design of a large ribbon-tied peony bouquet, a flowering branch and a sprig. Surrounded at the rim by a ruyi collar and trellis diaper band interrupted by triangular demi-flower head panels.
Label:Although fairly typical for Chinese porcelain owned in colonial America, its history of ownership sets this dish apart. It was originally part of a large dinner service owned by Stephen van Rensselaer II (1742–1769) and his wife, Catharine Livingston, of Albany, New York. They were married in 1764, just five years before his death. The service descended through his wife’s family and was eventually divided among family members in the 20th century. The van Rensselaer family of New Amsterdam (New York) owned Chinese porcelain as early as 1662.
Provenance:Formerly part of a service owned by Stephen van Rensselaer II (1741-1769) of Albany, NY.
Paper label on the reverse inscribed "This plaque belonged to Stephen Van R (1741-1769) who married Catharine Livingston. It was one of a full set of table china. It is not known if he bought or inherited the set. It descended through his wife who married Domini Westerlo, to Elizabeth Van Rensselaer who married John Bleeker, and through her to her granddaughter, Catharine Van Rensselaer of Vlie House; and through her to Catharine Westerlo VR Arnold. The large set was divided and part went to the Westerlos. Catharine VR still uses part of the set daily."