Origin: China, Jingdezhen
OH: 9 11/16"
H: 7 5/8" (without lid)
L: 9 1/8" (spout to handle)
Gift of Beatrix T. Rumford
Acc. No. 2009-173,A&B
Chinese porcelain coffeepot of conical lighthouse-shape bears intertwined strap handles and floral/foliate antefixes. Covered by a domed lid with berry finial. Body and lid divided into ten vertical panels distinguished by alternating double and single lines. Straight spout attached at a 45 degree angle below the midline, opposite the handle. Spout is collared an inch below its gilt-banded mouth. A thinner gilt band encircles the rim of the pot flange of the lid. The side of the vessel bears a 2 1/4" circular medallion depicting a house and landscape painted in opaque (sepia) enamels.
Label:By the early 19th-century, vessels specifically intended for the consumption of coffee were often made en suite with tea wares. Part of a larger service, this coffeepot is the epitome of early 19th-century American-market Chinese porcelain. In keeping with the popularity of neoclassicism, porcelain of this period tended to be more restrained with decoration often limited to small reserves and gilding. Like the teacup and saucer and garniture shown here, this coffeepot was originally owned by James and Elizabeth Roberts Canby. At the time of their wedding in Philadelphia on May 19, 1803, they were privileged to own a great deal of Chinese porcelain, all of which was in the latest taste and fashion.
Provenance:Miss Beatrix T. Rumford