Results 42 to 42 of 65
Firstprevious12...4041424344...6465NextLast
Change view: View multiple images at a timeView text onlyView text only

Plate fragments

ca. 1700
Origin: China, Jingdezhen
L: 7"
Porcelain, hard-paste
Colonial Williamsburg Foundation
Acc. No. T125-2013,5
Translucent enamels fragments excavated from the site of Sheild's Tavern, 09LA-00011.
Label:The decoration on this dish has panels radiating from a central roundel. Though popularized on blue-decorated porcelain of a hundred years earlier, this design element was fairly uncommon in Virginia. This dish was recovered from the site now known as Shield’s Tavern on Duke of Gloucester Street. Given its early date, the piece was likely owned by Jean Marot, a Huguenot emigrant who came to Virginia around 1700. In 1704, Marot moved to Williamsburg, purchased land on the main street, and built a home. He began operating an ordinary or tavern around 1708. After his death in 1717, an inventory of his possessions listed few ceramics, but one entry detailed “china cups.” In addition to this dish, two Chinese export porcelain cups and four bowls were recovered from the site.