AN ACCURATE SURVEY/ of the/ Botanic Gardens/ AT/ CHELSEA...
Framed H: 32 7/16" Framed W: 27 1/8"
Black and white line engraving with period hand color on laid paper
Acc. No. 2008-111
The text to the right reads: "AN ACCURATE SURVEY/ of the/ Botanic Gardens/ AT/ CHELSEA/ with the/ Elevation and Ichnography/ OF THE/ Green House and Stoves,/ and an Explanation/ of the Several Parts of the/ GARDEN,/ shewing where the most conspicuous/ Trees and Plants/ are Disposed,/ The Whole Carefully/ SURVEY'D AND DELINEATED/ BY/ John Haynes"
The lower margin reads: "Publish'd according to Act of Parliament March 31.st1751 by John Haynes ENGRAVER at Michael Angelio's Head in Buckingham Court near Charing-Cross./ By whom Gentlemen may have their Estates accurately Survey'd, and Maps thereof correctly Drawn and Imbellish'd with Perspective Views of their Seats in a Picturesque manner. Likewise may be taught Surveying/ of Land and Drawing Perspective Views &c. in a short and easy method upon reasonable considerations also Prints of all sorts Colour'd in Water Colours."
Label:Originally founded in 1673 as the Apothecaries’ Garden in London, the Chelsea Physic (or Botanic) Garden is the second oldest botanical garden in Britain. The University of Oxford’s garden was founded 52 years earlier. Both the university’s garden and the Chelsea garden are often referred to as “Physic” gardens due to the use of their plants for medicinal purposes.
With the help of Sir Hans Sloane, by the mid-18th century the Chelsea Physic Garden became one of the world’s most diverse public gardens. The garden’s seed exchange program is responsible for introducing cotton to Georgia. At the top of the map, a key locates 14 different sites within the garden, including the greenhouse; the beds set aside for herbals, annuals, biennials, and perennials; and the Wilderness, “where many types of trees grow.”
On the other side of the Royal Hospital from the Physic Garden are the Ranelagh Gardens. The first gardens there were laid out in the 1690s by Richard Jones, 1st Earl of Ranelagh. In 1741, the grounds were purchased by William Crispe and James Myonet. Those two men expanded the plot to develop a pleasure garden open to the public. Ranelagh Gardens still plays host to the Chelsea Flower Show, one of London’s most popular springtime events.
Provenance:Purchase from Cohen & Taliaferro LLC, New York City, N.Y.