Results 6 to 6 of 7
Firstprevious1234567NextLast
Change view: View multiple images at a timeView text onlyView text only

Stirrup cup

1780-1806
Origin: England, Staffordshire, Longton, Lane End
H: 3"; L(w/ears): 7"
Earthenware, lead-glazed, refined, creamware
Gift of Harry H. and Alma Louise Coon.
Acc. No. 1997-196
Stirrup cup slip cast in the form of a hare with ears pressed back on either side of the flared opening and with two front feet on either side of the face. The hare is decorated over the glaze with brownish fur. The opening of the cup is slightly flared and decorated around the rim with a series of dark blue semi-circles on the interior and exterior. The area between the ears at the top and the base is painted light green with long indented areas tapering to a point at the hare's head painted in darker green.
Label:Stirrup cups are an English adaptation of the ancient Rhyton, a pottery cup in the form of a head that was used in Greece, Italy, and Asia Minor. Stirrup cups were usually in the shape of the head of a fox or hound, but they are also found in the form of hares, stags, cocks, bears, trout, and other dogs. These cups were traditionally used for toasts to the hunt when the mounted riders were about to depart and were held inverted while in use, therefore not requiring a handle or foot. Earthenware stirrup cups were made in Staffordshire after ca. 1765 and porcelain cups after 1770.
Mark(s):"Turner" impressed on base.