Origin: England, Staffordshire
H: 3"; H(W/ears): 3 3/4"; L: 5 3/4"
Earthenware, lead-glazed, refined, pearlware
Gift of Harry H. and Alma Louise Coon
Acc. No. 1997-194
Stirrup cup press molded in the form of a hare's head and decorated in mottled brown colored glaze.
Label:Stirrup cups are an English adaptation of the ancient Rhyton, a pottery cup in the form of a head that was used in Greece, Italy, and Asia Minor. Stirrup cups were usually in the shape of the head of a fox or hound, but they are also found in the form of hares, stags, cocks, bears, trout, and other dogs. These cups were traditionally used for toasts to the hunt when the mounted riders were about to depart and were held inverted while in use, therefore not requiring a handle or foot. Earthenware stirrup cups were made in Staffordshire after ca. 1765 and porcelain cups after 1770.
Provenance:Behar Collection Number 514.