Origin: America, Virginia, Norfolk (probably)
OH: 38"; OW: 20"; OD: 21 1/4"; SD: 17 3/4"
Mahogany, yellow pine, and lightwood inlays.
Museum Purchase, The Sara and Fred Hoyt Furniture Fund
Acc. No. 2011-12
Side chair with shield-shaped back with serpentine crest rail, five vertical tapered banisters within shield emanate from a half-round inlaid fan at base with sand shading and holly single-strung upper edge; crest rail, stiles, and five vertical splat elements inlaid with single string at both edges of their front surfaces; over-rail upholstered trapezoidal seat with serpentine front seat rail and serpentine lower edge of side rails; four tapered legs; front legs inlaid with single string in round and gothic arch pattern with inlaid dot over lightwood cuff. Lower portion of all legs replaced. Upholstery peaks on front legs replaced.
Label:This side chair may have been part of a set with a pair of chairs (1956-275, 1&2) that descended from James Cuthbert and Francis Bragg Cuthbert of Norfolk, Virginia. The Cuthbert chairs were brought to Staunton, Virginia by their daughter Henrietta Frances Cuthbert (1813-1889) who married Dr. Francis Taliaferro Stribling (1810-1874) of Staunton, Va., in 1832.
While this chair had been extensively restored prior to Colonial Williamsburg's acquisition (the bottom four inches of the legs are replaced as are the upholstery peaks), the chair does retain a very rare serpentine shape to its side rails.
Provenance:Acquired by vendor in an antique shop in Stasburg, Virginia ca. 2007.
This chair may have been part of a set with 1956-275, 1&2 which descended from James Cuthbert and Frances Bragg (m. Norfolk, Va., 2 June 1812); to their daughter Henrietta Frances Cuthbert (1813-1889) who married Dr. Francis Taliaferro Stribling (1810-1874) of Staunton, Va., in 1832.