Origin: America, Virginia, Williamsburg
OH: 28"; OW: (arm to arm) 30 1/4"; OD: (seat) 24 1/2"
Cherry, oak, and tulip poplar; linen, leather, iron, and hair stuffing
Acc. No. 1980-184
Appearance - crest rail ends in lamb's tongue on either side and is centered on semicircular arm rail which ends in circular grips; arm rail supported by three columnar stiles; two pierced splats; two molded shoes; deep, shaped skirts on front seat rails; square slip seat; marlborough legs; front leg beaded on outside corner and chamfered on inside corner.
Construction - all elements cherry except as noted; crest rail secured on top of arm rail with screws from under arm rail; two piece arm rail with central lap joint screwed from top into tops of outer stiles (which may be tenoned into underside of arms); splats tenoned into arm rail and shoes which are integral part of rear seat rails; seat rails tenoned and pegged to legs; tulip poplar pot support board rests on four tulip poplar battens, two rear battens nailed to underside of rear seat rails and two front battens nailed to inside of front seat rails; four additional tulip poplar battens nailed to seat rails above pot support; four modern blocks nailed to battens supports seat (original commode seat missing); slip seat oak sides tenoned into front and rear elements.
Woods: Primary woods: walnut and cherry; Secondary woods: Oak and tulip poplar.
Provenance:This chair (part of a set 1975-23,1-8, settee and side chairs) has a history of having been in the Governor's Palace. Purportedly it was owned by Lord Dunmore and was sold at the sale of his property in 1776 to Thomas Lewis of Augusta County and to have been presented by Lewis to John Stuart and Agatha Frogg Lewis of Greenbrier County, Virginia (now West Virginia) as a wedding gift; there they remained until purchased from descendants by Colonial Williamsburg.