Results 4 to 4 of 9
Firstprevious123456789NextLast
Change view: View multiple images at a timeView text onlyView text only

Caster

1736-1737
Origin: England, London
OH: 8 1/8"; D(body): 3 5/8"; D(base): 3 1/8"
Silver (Sterling)
Museum Purchase
Acc. No. 1954-526,A&B
Caster: baluster-shaped; cast ball finial with smaller ball on top and projecting flange around center surmounting cast circular appliqué of lobes in rayed arrangement soldered to top of cover; tall domed cover with overall piercing of connecting stylized floral blooms, each consisting of four evenly-spaced shared ellipses issuing from small circular center; ellipses and centers outlined with engraving; engraved floral bloom within diamond-shaped reserves framed by adjacent ellipses; applied multiple molding above bezel; bezel of cover fitting within rim of body; body with contracted neck flaring with break at contraflexure to hemispherical lower section; applied molding at rim and contraflexure; four matched evenly-spaced and vertically-placed cast and applied straps of scrolled and foliated trellis-type with cherubs' heads at the contraflexure; straps extending from rim to base and on a shaped matted ground of conforming outline; body supported on a domed circular splayed foot with intermediate chased band of scrolls, leaves, and shells on a matted ground and molding at edge.
Label:The Huguenot makers generally employed a heavy gauge of silver and favored the use of applied ornament, both cast and cut from sheet. The vertical straps on this piece were cast in three parts with a winged cherub's mask connecting and concealing the join between the upper and lower sections. The straps are visually enhanced by a conforming border of matting. Their formal design and disposition complement the controlled contours and refined proportions of this piece. Paul de Lamerie used straps of similar design at this time. This caster may have been originally the largest of a set of three. A set of identical design by Crespin of the same year includes a small caster for mustard with an unpierced cover engraved to match the others.
Provenance:Garrard & Co. Ltd., London (purchased from E. T. Biggs & Sons, Maidenhead, Middlesex, 1954)
Acquired by CWF in 1954.
Mark(s):Marked in relief 1) Sponsor's mark "PC" in block letters with a shell above and a mullet below within a conforming reserve, 2) leopard's head crowned, 3) lion passant, and 4) date letter (lower-case, script "a") on underside of base. Lion passant on bezel of cover.
Inscription(s):Owner's crest of a demi-griffin rampant couped upholding a helmet in its forepaws on a wreath bar engraved on face of body below rim.