Pattern 1730 Land Service Musket
Origin: England, London & Birmingham
OL: 61 3/4" Barrel: 46 1/16" x .78 caliber
Walnut, iron, steel and brass
Acc. No. 1951-335,A
Pattern 1730 Long Land Pattern musket with walnut stock, round barrel, rounded brass mounts and curved-bottomed Pattern 1727 single-bridled lock. Pattern 1730 features include raised carving around the lock mortise, barrel tang and sideplate flat, and the earlier "Dutch" style triggerguard. While the noseband is a period-of-use modification, the steel rammer is an incorrect replacement.
Label:After 1714, the British sought to solve the problems caused by the wide array of different muskets used by their armed forces. The Board of Ordnance, who oversaw arms & ammunition, first successfully answered these issues with a standardized infantry arm; the Pattern 1730 Land Service musket. Although not generally issued to regular army units until the early 1740s, more than 700 were sent for the use of General Oglethorpe’s Regiment serving in Georgia. Fragments of these have been found there at Fort Fredericka, testifying to the appearance of this ground-breaking arm in the colonial South.
Provenance:From the Adair family of Flixton Hall, Suffolk, via W. Keith Neal.
Mark(s):Lock engraved with "Crown GR" ahead of cock and "E. COOKES / 1729" in three lines behind, and a "Crowned Broad Arrow" is struck under the pan. Barrel is struck with the usual Ordnance View & Proof marks, and is engraved "ROYAL WELSH" near the breech. A "Crown 14" is struck near the vent, and "AT" is branded into the stock below the bottom finial of the triggerguard (the initials of Capt. Arthur Taylor). Wristplate engraved "H / No. 19" and the buttplate tang is engraved "CAPT. TAYLOR."