OH: 4 7/8"; DIAM(RIM):3 5/16"; DIAM(BASE): 3 3/4"
Weight: 15 oz, 8 dwt, 5 1/2 gr.
Acc. No. 1964-434
Single molding at slightly-everted rim of baluster-shaped body supported on a spread and domed circular base; cast double-scroll handle with grip in the form of a grotesque mask, ribbed face, and scroll terminal. "JR / of Roanoke" engraved in script letters on face of body opposite handle over area of former engraving for John Randolph (1771-1833).
Label:John Randolph of Roanoke (1773-1833) owned this substantial mug of broad baluster form. His widowed mother, Frances Bland Randolph, married St. George Tucker of Williamsburg in 1778. It probably did not descend to him in the Randolph family, for, in order to have it inscribed, he had an area of former engraving removed, probably the arms of a former and unrelated owner. The present inscription dates from 1810 or later, since not until then did John Randolph add to his own name that of Roanoke, his home in Charlotte County, Virginia. He did not take up permanent residence there until that year. This piece would appear to have passed from him to his half-brother, Henry St. George Tucker (1780-1848), who married Ann Evelina Hunter; to their daughter, Virginia Tucker (1817-1858), who married Henry Laurens Brooke (1808-1874); to their son, St. George Tucker Brooke (b. 1844), who married Mary H. Brown; and to their daughter, the last owner, Anne Washington Brooke, who married Edward B. Harold.
The mug is of interest as a piece of de Lamerie silver with a history of Virginia ownership extending from at least the early nineteenth century. A salver of 1742/43 in the Donald S. Morrison collection, a kettle on stand and a bread basket of 1744/45 in the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and a waste bowl of 1744/45 in the Irwin Untermyer collection, all fashioned by de Lamerie in his elaborate rococo manner, are engraved with the arms of David Franks, the prominent Philadelphia merchant, impaling those of his wife, Margaret Evans, whom he married in 1743. De Lamerie had a penchant for inventive detail. The distinctive scrolled and ribbed handle of this mug has an unusual grip in the form of a grotesque mask. An identical cann of 1736/37 by de Lamerie is recorded. John Randolph of Roanoke also owned a mug of 1769/70 by Jacob Marsh of London, which is privately owned by a descendant in Williamsburg. Engraved with the Randolph family crest and his initials, it is quite similar in form to but larger than CWF accession 1945-2.
Provenance:This mug was acquired from Mrs. Anne Brooke Harold, Chula Vista, CA, whose father and the previous owner of the cann, was H. St. George Tucker Brooke. (Letter from Mrs. Harold to Mr. John M. Graham, October 29, 1964.) After the death of her first husband, John Randolph's mother, Francis Bland Randolph, married St. George Tucker (1752-1827) of Williamsburg in 1778. Their son, Henry St. George Tucker, married Anne Eveline Hunter. Their daughter, Virginia Tucker (1817-1858 or 63), married Henry J. Brooke (1808-1874). This is the first instance that I have been able to find of a Brooke marrying a Tucker. With further research, the remaining holes in the geneology should be fairly easily established.
Mark(s):marked in relief 1) sponsor's mark "P·L" in block letters with crown over mullet above and a fleur-de-lis below within a shaped reserve, 2) leopard's head crowned, 3) lion passant, and 4) date letter, capital block T )in relief) in shield, on underside of base.
Inscription(s):Inscribed "J R of Roanoke" for John Randolph of Roanoke over an area of former engraving on face of body opposite handle