Origin: America, Virginia, Williamsburg
OH:28 3/4" OW:60 3/4" OD:55 1/4"
Black walnut with oak and yellow pine.
Acc. No. 1930-169
Slightly ovoid top with rounded edges; center leaf and both side leaves each made of two butt-joined black walnut boards; rule joints between center and side leaves; four relatively straight black walnut stationary legs with carved (rather than turned) pad feet; two black walnut swing legs of same design; straight black walnut end rails with integral cyma-shaped returns (joints pinned); yellow pine side rails; one oak swing hinge rail positioned between two black walnut fixed hinge rails on each side (fixed hinge rails secured to side rails with rosehead nails); one cyma-shaped return or bracket applied to each of the four fixed hinge rails and one to each swing hinge rail (each attached with one rosehead nail and one finishing nail); top inner face of each swing leg cut back and finished with a cyma to receive side rail when leg is in closed position; a wooden pin was originally driven into the bottom of each side leaf to serve as a stop for the swing rail; a scribe line connects the stop pin location with the gate hinge.
Label:This dining table was made by Williamsburg's earliest cabinetmaker, Peter Scott. Scott emigrated from England, resided in Williamsburg by 1722, and worked there until his death in 1775. He made a variety of table forms (including those for dining, tea, and cards), desks and bookcases, and bureau dressing tables. Scott's patrons were members of Virginia's gentry, including his landlord, Daniel Parke Custis, and Thomas Jefferson.
Provenance:No history is known prior to the 1930 purchase of the table from Mrs. Archibald Robertson, a dealer in southern furniture based in Petersburg, Virginia.
Inscription(s):"9609/84" penciled on bottom of one leaf.