Pattern 1730/40 Land Service musket
Origin: England, London and Birmingham
OL: 61 11/16" Barrel: 46 1/16" x .78 caliber
Walnut, iron, steel and brass
Acc. No. 1951-325
Pattern 1730/40 Long Land Pattern musket with walnut stock, round barrel, rounded brass mounts and curved-bottomed Pattern 1740 double-bridled lock. Pattern 1730 features include raised carving around the lock mortise, barrel tang and sideplate flat, and the earlier "Dutch" style triggerguard. The noseband is a period-of-use modification.
Label:When the British Army was re-equipped with new, standardized “Pattern 1730” muskets in 1740-41, problems with the arms showed themselves pretty quickly. The most important issues to be addressed were the poor performance of the lock and a structural weakness, while other changes were implemented as cost-saving measures. This progress resulted in the production of hybrid muskets that combined features of the Pattern 1730 and the future Pattern of 1742. Styled "Pattern 1730/40 muskets," these arms exhibit a varying combination of these changes and can be tricky to understand today.
Since the mechanical superiority of the double-bridled lock over the single-bridled version was unarguable, the Ordnance only procured the former type for the infantry after the late 1730s. While this musket incorporates a new pattern lock, it was made with the earlier, weaker triggerguard, as the Ordnance used up what parts were already on hand. Economies seen on other Pattern 1730/40 muskets include the disappearance of the raised carving (present on this specimen) and the adoption of the single-loop barrel pin system, as seen on this firearm.
Provenance:From the Adair family of Flixton Hall, Suffolk, via W. Keith Neal.
Mark(s):Lock engraved with "Crown GR" ahead of cock and "TOWER / 1741" in two lines behind, and a "Crowned Broad Arrow" is struck under the pan. Barrel is struck with the usual Ordnance View & Proof marks, and is engraved "ROYAL WELSH" near the breech. Wristplate engraved "H / No. 16" and the buttplate tang is engraved "CAPT. HICKMAN."