Lantern Frame Cover
Origin: America, [West] Virginia, Wheeling
Museum Purchase, The Friends of Colonial Williamsburg Collections Fund
Acc. No. 2015-205,B
Square cover that drops into inset on top of lantern frame. Not original to the object.
Label:This lantern is the only period object known to remain intact with panes of lacy pressed glass manufactured by the Wheeling Flint Glass Works operated by J. & C. Ritchie. In 1955 eight identical panes of glass were found and distributed separately (Toledo Museum of Art, Metropolitan Museum of Art, Chrysler Museum of Art, Virginia Museum of Fine Art, Oglenay Mansion, Wheeling, a private collection and two at Corning Museum). These panes remain the only marked wares by this partnership and they are all of the same pattern. Similar panes were advertised by Bakewell, Page, and Bakewell in 1936 as "pressed panes for steamboats."