Origin: England, Liverpool (probably)
Tin-glazed earthenware (delft)
Acc. No. 1954-492
Bulbous-bodied bottle with cylindrical foot ring, tall cylindrical neck, and flared lip. Blue tin glaze decorated in blue with a large peony and a vase on a table, two long flower sprays extending around body, and pendent leaves and grapes below the lip.
Label:Two bottles in the Bristol Museum have the same decoration seen here. Although more rounded, one has a flaring lip like this, and the other has a neck with a central knop usually associated with Liverpool. The dark color and the scratched decoration on this bottle suggest, though, that it was made in London. Fragments of wares decorated with this pattern have been excavated in Williamsburg at the Tayloe House, Anthony Hay House, and Hay's Cabinetmaking Shop site (28DB.1409) and at the Blair Stables (29HA.0259).
Provenance:Matthew & Elisabeth Sharpe, Conshohocken, PA