Archaeological Collection, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation
Acc. No. T067-2013,4
Bottle with "Jno / Greenhow / Wmsburg / 1770" seal. Excavated at the Greenhow Store Site, Williamsburg, Virginia, 13GA-0017
Label:Almost all the glass used in the Chesapeake and the rest of colonial America was imported from England. Large-scale English glass producers were simply able to make window glass, wine bottles, table glass, and other glass wares far more efficiently and cheaply than could nascent American operations. The imported products were readily available from local merchants as well as factors in Britain.
The seal of Williamsburg, Virginia, merchant John Greenhow is affixed to this bottle.