Gift of Mr. John M. Graham II
Acc. No. 1950-378
Domed circular glass container with a hole on the flat side which allows the nipple to stick into the container. A small notch in the glass on one side prevents too much suction when the glass is in place. Worn under the woman's clothes to catch excess breast milk.
Label:This apparatus was used to collect milk from nursing mothers, to be given later to infants. Eighteenth-and early nineteenth- century sales records also list "Bosom bottles" and "Nipple Shells," which had similar uses.