OH: 3 5/8"; rim diam: 3 1/4"
Acc. No. 2008-54
Colorless lead glass, blown, cut and engraved. Tapered form with a fire-polished rim and thick bottom. Polished pontil, slightly domed. The side is engraved with a large foliate initial "N" (presumably for Nivison). Above the initial is an engraved border consisting of a single horizontal line and repeating vertical ellipses that alternate with a small stylized flower motif. The lower portion is cut with a row of finger flutes.
Label:This glass has a family history of use by Col. John Nivison (1760-1820) a prominent citizen of Norfolk, Virginia.
Provenance:Family History of use by Colonel John Nivison (1760-1820) of Norfolk, Virginia. They descended to the current owner through the family of his son-in-law, Governor Littleton Waller Tazewell (1774-1860).