COLLECTION: Glass

Results 4 to 4 of 36
Firstprevious123456...3536NextLast
Change view: View multiple images at a timeView text onlyView text only

Champagne Glass

1800-1815
Origin: England
Overall: 7 x 3in. (17.8 x 7.6cm)
Glass, leaded
Gift of E. Charles Beyer in memory of Carrie Cole Lane Geddy
Acc. No. 2013-75,1
One of a group of four lead glass champagne flutes. Constructed of a tall, narrow and slightly trumpet-shaped blown glass flute attached to the flat base with a short, two collar, button stem. Flute ornamented with six cut facets climbing three-quarters of the way up the glass. Base has a polished pontil.
Provenance:This group of four matched champagne flutes descended in the Cole family of Williamsburg. They probably were first owned by merchant Roscow Cole, who sold imported dry goods, hardware, groceries, paint, and textiles. Facing Market Square, Cole's neoclassic brick house was finished by 1812. The glasses descended through the family in another early Williamsburg residence, the Taliaferro-Cole House, to Carrie Cole Lane Geddy (Mrs. Vernon M. Geddy, Sr.). In 1966, Mrs. Geddy gave the cradle to E. Charles Beyer, one of the donors.