Origin: England, Dorsetshire
Archaeological Collection, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation
Acc. No. T067-2013,22
Stone column base excavated at the Capitol site, Williamsburg, Virginia
Label:This column base belongs to the second Virginia Capitol in Williamsburg. After fire destroyed the first Capitol in 1747, the original walls were partially reused and a new building was erected at the site. The new Capitol featured a two-story columned portico facing Duke of Gloucester Street. This base supported one of the portico columns. There is no naturally occurring building stone in the Chesapeake, so architectural and other stone had to be imported from England.