Origin: Europe, Italy, Naples (probably)
Overall: 58.2 x 20cm (22 15/16 x 7 7/8in.)
Spruce, Maple, Ebony, Fruitwood
Gift of Mrs. Lee Spangler
Acc. No. 1975-380,1
The violin back and sides are thought to be the work of Tommaso Eberle of Naples ca. 1770. The top was undoubtedly adapted to the sides and back and appears to be about the same period but reflects the hand of another Neapolitan craftsman, Joseph Gagliano. The scroll is thought to be much later and of Czechoslovakian origin. The instrument was returned to a "baroque" configuration including a new neck, scroll, pegs, fingerboard, nut, bridge, and tail.
Label:The violin that has evolved from the work of several makers, including Tommaso Eberle (ca. 1770) and Joseph Gagliano of Naples, and a later scroll of Czechoslovakian origin. The instrument has been returned to a "baroque" configuration.
Provenance:Gift of Mrs. Lee (Kathryn) Spangler, Emporia VA. Mrs. Spangler indicated in a letter that the violin was purchased in England by her grandfather, John Shelton, in 1884. While residing in Milwaukee (around the early 20th century?), Robert Shelton (John's son, Kathryn's father) sent the instrument to Chicago to have a modern (longer) neck attached.
Inscription(s):An unauthentic label inside is printed, "Francesco Ruger [Ruggieri], detto il per / Cremona 1666"