COLLECTION: Musical Instruments

Results 17 to 17 of 127
Change view: View multiple images at a timeView text onlyView text only

Chamber Organ

Origin: Great Britain, England
OH: 12 ft., 6 in. (3810 mm to top of pediment); D: 3 ft., 3 in. (1882 mm); OW: 6 ft., 6 in. (1878 mm)
Mahogany: case Oak: key levers, stop action, trundles, key-frame rails, sponsils, original table, caps for wooden pipes, pipe stopper handles, sliders and bearers, toe boards, backfalls, pallets; Softwoods: pipes, case secondary woods, back, rack boards, trackers, bellows board, bellows ribs; Ebony: natural key tops, sharp sides, stop knobs; Ivory: sharp centers, telltale indicator marks; Leather: bellows (replacement); Lead alloy: pipes; Gold: pipe gilding; Iron: trundle arms; Brass: balance pins, key guide pins
Museum Purchase
Acc. No. 1954-432,A
CASE DECORATION: This has a mahogany case with a broken pediment. Decorative carvings in floral and key patterns decorate the case around the gilded facade pipes.
KEYWELL: The keywell is mahogany with six draw knobs to the left and three at the right.
STAND AND PEDALS: There are two pedals. The left pedal operates a machine stop, which cancels the 12th and 15th; the other operates the bellows
INTERNAL NOTES: The single wedge feeder bellows raises a wedge reservoir. One telltale is at the left of the key desk for the organist pumping in front, and another is at the rear corner of the case near the side pumping lever.
COMPASS: GG, AA–d3; 1 manual (no pedal board)
OCTAVES: 4 oct.+ 7 notes
STOPS: Six left-hand draw knobs operate metal pipes in pairs for divided keyboard (between b and c1): fifteenth (bass), fifteenth (treble), twelfth (bass), twelfth (treble), principal (bass), and principal (treble); three right-hand draw knobs operate wooden pipes: open diapason, flute, and stopped diapason; pedal for machine stop, which removes principal, twelfth, and fifteenth.
Provenance:Originally at Kimberley Hall, Norwich, England, ancestral home of Wodehouse family. Sold in 1953 to Noel Mander of London, who sold it to CWF in 1954
Mark(s):• No maker's mark
• Pitch markings in ink on pipes