Woven Doublecoth Coverlet
Origin: America, Indiana, Hamilton County
Overall: 89 x 90-inches; without fringe 84 x 86 1/2-inches.
Wool and cotton double cloth
From the collection of Betty L. Gremillion given by her daughter Susan G. Rhoderick.
Acc. No. 2003.609.2
This is a rectangular "figured and fancy" coverlet woven in two panels with center seam, in double cloth construction. The coverlet consists of rusty-red, green-blue, and indigo blue wool yarns woven with natural cotton. The centerfield features twenty floral medallions composed of circular centers with eight pie-like segments from which radiate four tulips. Between the larger medallions are smaller 8-pointed medallions and leaf-and-floral motifs. Thread crosses serve to "tie" larger areas of double cloth together, giving the effect of dots. Two side borders feature five swags on each side enclosing grouped houses with chimneys, the houses flanked by trees. The bottom border alternates clusters of three flowers with squat vases of flowers and leaves. There is a narrow linear stripe at the lower edge of bottom border. There is no top border. The two corner blocks in the bottom read: "H. ADOLF/HAMELTON CO/INDIANA/+++++/1853". The bottom edge and sides are fringed.
Provenance:The coverlet is from the collection of Betty L. Gremillion and was donated to AARFAM by her daughter, Susan G. Rhoderick.