COLLECTION: Quilts & Coverlets

Results 350 to 350 of 385
Firstprevious12...348349350351352...384385NextLast
Change view: View multiple images at a timeView text onlyView text only

Woven Tied Beiderwand Coverlet

1850
Origin: America, Pennsylvania, Mill Hall
74 x 79 1/4" (188.0 cm. x 201.3 cm.)
Cotton and wool
Gift of Mr. & Mrs. Foster McCarl, Jr.
Acc. No. 1986.609.12
This is a single-woven coverlet in tied beiderwand construction in one loom width of red, olive green, and jade green wools with salmon and olive-colored cottons and a light yellow supplementary thread of cotton. It has a turned-over hem at all four edges. The lower border consists of five-bay buildings alternating with a large "rose bush" design flanked by leaping stags. The letter "W" is woven above each side of the building motif repeated in the side borders. Above the eagle in each lower corner block is ". R. WILLIAMS" and below the spread eagles in the lower corner blocks is "1850/UNITED ST . . . ." The side borders are the same basic design as the lower border, but the motifs in them are horizontally compressed and the buildings have the initial "W" over each upper corner. The interior consists of octagons enclosing floral medallions, with smaller stylized medallions in the spaces between.
Label:Weavers of figured and fancy coverlets often produced floor coverings as well as bed coverlets, and field designs like that shown here were suitable for both applications. William's production of floor coverings has not been documented, but it is conceivable that he pursued this closely related line of business.
Provenance:No history of ownership prior to donor's is known. Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Foster McCarl, Jr., Beaver Falls, Pa.
Mark(s):The letter "W" is woven above each side of the building motif repeated in the side borders. Above the eagle in each lower corner block is ". R. WILLIAMS" (the beginning is partly cut off and partly enveloped in the seam). Below the eagle in each lower corner block is "1850/UNITED ST . . . ." (the latter wording is upside down in relation to the date and, before, is partly cut off and partly enveloped in the seam).
Inscription(s):The letter "W" is woven above each side of the building motif repeated in the side borders. Above the eagle in each lower corner block is ". R. WILLIAMS" (the beginning is partly cut off and partly enveloped in the seam). Below the eagle in each lower corner block is "1850/UNITED ST . . . ." (the latter wording is upside down in relation to the date and, before, is partly cut off and partly enveloped in the seam).