Appliqué Tulip Quilt
Origin: America, Pennsylvania, Franklin County
OH: 85 1/4 OW: 85 1/4" (217 x 217 cm)
Plain and printed cottons with cotton embroidery threads
Gift of Harry and Sandra Fisher
Acc. No. 2008.609.2
This is an appliquéd quilt consisting of sixteen blocks of appliquéd “double tulip" motifs in yellow, red-pink, and green printed textiles. The inner border consists of triangles in a sawtooth configuration; the outer border consists of eight-petal yellow rosette flowers on undulating stems. The quilt is signed and dated in red cotton cross stitches, "M.R." and "18. 49." It is quilted in 9 running stitches per inch in diamonds, pairs of diagonal lines, and outline patterns. The face fabric is rolled to the plain white cotton backing to create a binding.
Label:According to the family history, two Pennsylvania sisters made quilts in 1849 for their nephews, Jacob Henry and John Emmanuel Hade. Each sister signed her initials and the date on her quilt in fine cross stitches. This exuberant quilt, appliquéd in brilliant pink, yellow, and green, uses a traditional tulip pattern but gives it a sense of lively movement. Ann Margaret's sister used a more typical red and green wreath pattern.
Provenance:According to donor, "The two quilts [2008.609.1 & 2] were made by sisters Sarah Christiann and Mary Rauch for their nephews Jacob Henry and John Emmanuel Hade....The Rauch and Hade families lived in Greencastle." (Letter dated June 13, 2008).