Origin: Great Britain, England, Bath
OH: 15 1/4"; OW (base): 6 2/8"; OD (base): 6 3/8"
Brass scope with glass lenses; base of mahogany and mahogany veneer with deal linings and drawer linings; exterior case of mahogany.
Acc. No. 1947-275,A
MICROSCOPE; cylindrical inner tube with eyepiece at top and interchangeable lense at bottom (three lenses included ranging from 10 to 50 power); tube is narrow at top and bottom, increases in size by stages at both ends to center where it fits tightly into cylindrical outer tube with flaring, molded base; rack and pinion adjustment with small milled button on one side of outer tube to focus lens; brass sleeve fits over bottom of inner tube, at the bottom of which is a silvered, concave lieberkuhn for illuminating opaque objects; three brass, scrolled legs connect base of outer tube to flat, circular stage with central hole, and slot on one side; three identical, but larger legs support stage and connect it to top of wood base; base is square, with molded, domed top, at center of which is screwed a circular, adjustable relecting mirror bound in brass; small, fitted drawer in one side of base in which are housed the two extra lenses and an ivory specimen slide; drawer opened with single brass knob at center; base surrounded at bottom by narrow cove molding;
Label:This brass microscope was made by Jacob Abraham in the early 19th century. Abraham was an optician and mathematical instrument maker to the Duke of Gloucester and the Duke of Wellington. This style, often called a Culpepper Microscope, gained popularity for its ability to focus using racks and pinions. It remained popular for over a century. Similar microscopes would have been a common tool among naturalists and botanists studying natural history.
Mark(s):"J. Abraham/Bath" in script on top of stage