Communion cup, one of pair
DateProbably 1719
Marked by
John Dixwell
(1680/81-1725)
MediumSilver
DimensionsOH: 5 1/2" Diam. at rim: 3 7/8"
Credit LineGift of John A. Hyman: The John A. Hyman Collection
Object number1993-430,1
DescriptionSilver communion cup, one of pair. Extended bell-shaped bodies on short molded bases, simple S-scroll strap handles with molded edges, the bodies with a contemporary inscription: "This Cup belongs to the Church of Medford, Annod: 1719".Label TextIn keeping with their rejection of traditional religious symbols, Puritans often used domestic silver forms such as tankards for communion. By the second decade of the eighteenth century, however, this form of tall, slender, two-handled cup was being produced almost exclusively for the service of communion wine in New England non-conformist churches. The double handles facilitated passing the cups among the communicants, and their large capacities met the needs of growing congregations. The small, neat lettering style of the inscriptions on these two cups is typical of Boston engraving during this period.
InscribedEngraved on side of body in contemporary script: "This Cup belongs to the Church of Medford, Annod: 1719".
MarkingsOn side of body, "JD" in oval
ProvenanceOriginally in the First Parish, Medford, Mass. Sold by the church through Firestone and Parson, Ritz Carlton Hotel, Boston, Mass. 02117 to the collector in November, 1993.
1715-1716
1738-1739
1793
ca. 1770
ca. 1770
1729-1730
1718
1724-1730
1655-1656
1678-1679